The Morton Arboretum is the perfect place for family members of all ages to connect and experience a fun-filled visit surrounded by nature. Centrally located 25 miles west of Chicago, the Arboretum is just west of Interstate 355 and north of I-88 on Illinois Route 53 in DuPage County. As you consider the Arboretum for your next family outing, be sure to explore this downloadable and printer-friendly map which highlights paved and chipped-wood paths, visitor facilities, tree collections, gardens, water features, and more. Review these helpful visiting tips and the Know Before You Go web page for important safety guidelines.
Hours, Admission, and Membership
The Morton Arboretum is open daily from 7:00 a.m. to sunset, with member-only access between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m.
The Children’s Garden is open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., with exclusive members-only access at 9:00 a.m. on Friday mornings, and extended hours until 7:00 p.m. on Thursdays.
- Adults, ages 18–64, $17 ($12 Wednesdays*)
- Children, ages 2–17, $12 ($9 Wednesdays*)
- Children age 1 and younger are free.
- Seniors, ages 65 and older, $15 ($11 Wednesdays*)
*Admission is discounted on Wednesdays.
Interested in becoming a member? The Morton 4 membership is the most popular family offering. You can find a membership level for any size family. Members receive multiple benefits, including free admission without timed-ticketed reservations, discounts on educational programs, discounted tickets for accompanying guests, special programs, and so much more. Join today!
Please have your admission tickets or your digital or physical membership card ready when you reach the gatehouse to ensure a smooth entry process. The friendly gatehouse attendant will be able to provide a paper map, answer preliminary questions, and direct you as needed.
The Morton Arboretum offers discounted admission to:
- Active duty military and their families.
- Members of other arboretums and botanical gardens (some exclusions apply).
- Museums for All participants.
What to Bring
For your family
- Printed or downloaded maps of the Arboretum grounds.
- Walking shoes, water-repellent shoes, or boots for inclement weather.
- Layers of clothing so you can add or remove layers to maintain your comfort level.
- Sun hats and sunscreen if you will be in the sun.
- Plan for wet and dirty play. Have an extra set of clothes handy. If your child is too young to walk long distances, bring a stroller.
- Sandals or aqua shoes for the Secret Stream and Wonder Pond in the Children’s Garden.
- Light-colored, long-sleeved shirts and long pants to protect against insects and poison ivy.
- Insect repellent containing DEET for ticks.
- Sun hats and sunscreen, if you will be in the sun.
What to Leave at Home
While we know that your pet is an important family member, please leave dogs and other pets at home, as they are not permitted in vehicles or on the grounds. Exceptions are made on specially designated Dog Admission Days and for service animals.
Although Wonder Pond and Secret Stream are exciting interactive water experiences, please leave swimsuits at home. Additionally, balls, kites, rollerblades, Segways, drones, scooters, skateboards, and fishing equipment are prohibited on the Arboretum grounds. Please help us maintain a peaceful environment that prioritizes safety and the well-being of members, guests, employees, volunteers, and tree collections. View the full list of prohibited items and activities here.