Learn to call plants by their botanical names. In this online class, you will learn:
- the limitations of using the common names of plants;
- the importance of the scientific names of plants;
- why botanical names are useful and important;
- tips and tricks for pronunciation of scientific names, and;
- the botanical names for 40 common native plant species in Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, and the Great Lakes Region.
In this online class, the self-guided material can be completed anytime, wherever you have access to a computer, at your own pace.
How self-paced online classes work
To access the class, you will log into TreeLearning, the Arboretum’s online learning portal. Instructions for accessing TreeLearning will be sent to registrants by email from firstname.lastname@example.org upon registration. You have access to the course for 60 days and can complete the materials anytime.
Complete the self-paced e-learning modules with reading material, short videos, interactive activities, and quizzes to check your understanding.
The course will take approximately two hours. The online materials do not need to be completed in one sitting.
There will not be an instructor online with you.
Course number: N235-OD