Tufted hair grass is a clump forming, cool season grass. This grass has a wide natural range, being found in Europe, Asia, and North America.
This species is native to the Chicago region according to Swink and Wilhelm’s Plants of the Chicago Region, with updates made according to current research.
- Family (English) Grass
- Family (botanic) Poaceae
- Tree or plant type Grass, Perennial
- Native locale Chicago area, Illinois, North America
- Size range Large plant (more than 24 inches)
- Light exposure Partial sun / shade (4-6 hrs light daily)
- Hardiness zones Zone 2, Zone 3, Zone 4, Zone 5 (Northern Illinois), Zone 6 (City of Chicago), Zone 7, Zone 8, Zone 9
- Soil preference Moist, well-drained soil
- Tolerances Alkaline soil, Clay soil, Wet sites
- Season of interest mid spring, late spring, early summer, midsummer, late summer, early fall
- Flower color and fragrance Other
- Shape or form Mounded