Purple love grass is a midwestern native that produces reddish-purple flowers and fruit that hang over the plant like a cloud. This is a warm season, clumping grass.
This species is native to the Chicago Region according to Swink and Wilhelm’s Plants of the Chicago Region, with updates made according to current research.
- Family (English) Grass
- Family (botanic) Poaceae
- Tree or plant type Grass, Perennial
- Native locale Chicago area, Illinois, North America
- Size range Medium plant (12-24 inches), Large plant (more than 24 inches)
- Light exposure Full sun (6 hrs direct light daily)
- Hardiness zones Zone 5 (Northern Illinois), Zone 6 (City of Chicago), Zone 7, Zone 8, Zone 9, Zone 10
- Soil preference Dry soil, Sandy soil
- Tolerances Dry sites, Occasional drought
- Season of interest early winter, midwinter, late winter, midsummer, late summer, early fall, mid fall, late fall
- Flower color and fragrance Purple, Red
- Shape or form Mounded