When it comes to providing fresh, locally grown food, food forests are a food system that is beneficial in several ways, both for the local population as well as for the environment. This course provides general information and guidelines on food forests and how to plan and care for them, including information on edible native species that can be grown, companion planting, and other considerations for better cultivation.
After taking this course, you will:
- Understand what a food forest is and its benefits
- Know of some current examples of food forests
- Understand the structure of a natural forest
- Understand how the structure of a natural forest is applied to a food forest
- Understand the steps of planning a food forest
- Understand some considerations of cultivating a food forest
There are two ways to access these resources. Explore each version to see which would suit you best.
Free, self-paced online course
Keep track of your learning progress, check your understanding through interactive online quizzes, and receive a PDF of course completion to share your achievement with others.