Learn how to identify trees in this self-guided online class from The Morton Arboretum. Get to know the common trees you see in local preserves or in your neighborhood. In this course, you will learn how to ID a tree by:
- using characteristics such as leaves, bark, branches, flowers, and fruit;
- learning how to use tree identification keys and field guides, and;
- seeing your natural surroundings in a new way, from the comfort of your home or office.
This course includes examples of common trees in Illinois and the Midwest, though the basic concepts you will learn can be applied to identifying trees in any region.
Tree ID is a useful skill and builds a deeper connection to nature. Once you start learning about tree ID, you will be better able to identify and appreciate the trees in your community.
How self-paced online classes work:
- To access the class, you will log into TreeLearning, the Arboretum’s online learning portal. Instructions for accessing TreeLearning will be sent to registrants by email from firstname.lastname@example.org following registration. You have access to the course for 60 days and can complete the materials anytime.
- Complete the self-paced e-learning modules with reading material, short videos, interactive activities, and quizzes to check your understanding.
- The course will take approximately 90 minutes. The course does not need to be completed in one sitting.
- Your instructor will not be online with you.