Learn how to find your way using a map and compass. While GPS devices and apps are convenient, what happens when the battery dies? Knowing how to navigate without technology is an essential skill for any outdoor adventurer.
In this class at The Morton Arboretum, you will
- learn how to read a topographic map.
- understand the parts of a basic compass and their purpose.
- use the compass to orient your map.
- take bearings from a map to find your way to a destination.
- use the landscape to find out where you are on the map.
- learn what to look for when purchasing a compass.
After some time in the classroom learning the basics, head out onto the grounds to practice. Please bring your own compass if you have one. This class will not cover the use of GPS devices.
This program meets in person at the Arboretum.
Instructor: Nathan Hambel
Health and Safety: Program participants must abide by the Arboretum’s health and safety guidelines. Guidelines are subject to change, so please check back frequently.
Age: 16 and older